To be healthy and fit, you need to know how many calories should I burn in a day? You should consume calories according to your body’s requirement, ie if you want to gain weight then you should consume more calories, but if you want to lose weight then you should eat fewer calories and you want to stay fit. You should consume calories according to your physical activity. Let’s know in detail how many calories should I burn in a day?
Table of Contents
- 1. Counting Calories To Lose Weight:
- 2. What Is The Harris-Benedict Formula?
- 3. BMR:
- 4. Activity To Count Calories:
- 5. Equation To Count Calories:
- 6. How Many Calories Should I Burn In A Day While Doing Daily Activities?
- 7. Do Men And Women Burn Calories Differently?
- 8. Calorie Burn And Weight Loss:
- 9. Tips On Losing Weight:
Counting Calories To Lose Weight:
Have you ever thought about how many calories should I burn in a day? Calorie calculation helps you not only to calculate your metabolic rate but it also shows your daily calorie requirements. The Harris-Benedict formula can help you calculate calories. Let us know this formula in detail.
What Is The Harris-Benedict Formula?
The Harris-Benedict formula or Harris-Benedict equation was first published in 1918. It was revamped again in 1984 and again in 1990. To maintain your weight in its original form, multiply your BMR by your daily activity level to get the number of calories needed to consume each day.
You will use your gender (whether you are male or female), age and weight to calculate your BMR. The basic formulas for calculating this number are as follows, here we will use pounds for weight, inches for height and years for age. Use this formula after you change your weight from kilogram to pound.
Where, 1 pound = 453.592 grams or 0.453592 kg.
66 + (6.2 x weight) + (12.7 x height) – (6.76 x age) = BMR for men
1 + (4.35 x weight) + (4.7 x height) – (4.7 x age) = BMR for women
If a 40-year-old man weighs 180 pounds or 81.6466 kg and is 6 feet tall, his BMR will be-
66 + (6.2 x 180) + (12.7 x 72) – (6.76 x 40) = 1,829.8
If a woman is 40 years old, weighs 150 pounds (68.0389 kg), height is 5 feet 6 inches, then you calculate BMR as follows-
655.1 + (4.35 x 150) + (4.7 x 66) – (4.7 × 40) = 1,429.7
Activity To Count Calories:
How many calories you burn on a regular basis depends on your activity level. Because of your higher level of physical activity only burns more calories. Let us understand the following from the activity level number:
1.2: sedentary (to exercise less)
1.375: Less active (light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.55: Moderately active (moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.725: Very active (6-7 days hard exercise per week)
1.9: Extra Active (Very Hard Exercise)
For example, suppose a woman is a postal worker and walks all day. His activity level will be 1.9. Now suppose a person works at a desk and exercises several times a week. Its activity level will be set at 1.55.
Equation To Count Calories:
After getting all the above information, you have to put it in Harris-Benedict’s whole equation BMR x Activity level = the number of calories to maintain weight. Let’s understand it with examples
Is a female of 150 pounds or 68.0389 kg and is extra active when
1429.7 (BMR) x 1.9 (activity level) = 2,716 (calories per day to maintain current weight)
A man of 180 pounds or 81.6466 kg who is moderately active
1829.8 (BMR) x 1.55 (activity level) = 2,836 (calories per day to maintain current weight)
How Many Calories Should I Burn In A Day While Doing Daily Activities?
You must have understood the above examples of how many calories you burn according to your daily activities. You may think that you need to exercise hard to burn calories throughout the day. Let us know in detail how many calories you can burn by doing work.
Here a person weighing 70 kg does the following for 30 minutes, then he can burn so many calories.
- House Cleaning: 186
- Horticulture: 167
- Field grass: 167
- Playing with children: 149
- In the car wash: 167
- Walking (5 km/h): 149
- Groceries Shopping (with cart): 130
- In cooking: 93
- Sitting in a meeting: 60
- Mild Office Work: 56
- Computer work: 51
- Teaching: 42
- Standing in line: 47
- Watching television: 28
More Recommended Articles :-
- 20 Indian Fruits For Weight Loss
- Mango Diet Plan For Weight Loss | Nutrients Of Mango
- Meal Plan To Lose Belly Fat | 7 Day Sample Diet Plan
- 7 Day GM Diet Plan Vegetarian For Fast Weight loss
- 7 day GM Diet Plan Non-vegetarian For Weightloss
- Indian Diet For Weight Loss In 7 Days | Diet Chart & Tips
- Emily Ratajkowski Diet | Emily Ratajkowski’s Perfect Body
- Coconut Water Benefits Weight Loss And Other Health Issues
- Intermittent Diet Plan | Fasting For Weight Loss
- Avoid Food For Weight Loss | Weight Loss | Foods
- Safe & Effective Meal Of Military Diet For Weight Loss
- Weight Loss Diet: Raw Food Diet For Weight Loss
- Weight Loss Diet Chart For Female: Know What Should You Eat
- Meal Plan For Extreme Weight Loss: 7-Day Meal Plan
- How The Liquid Diet Plan For Weight Loss Work?
- 7 Day Paleo Diet Meal Plan To Lose Weight Fast
- Effective Homemade Drinks For Weight Loss
- 7-Days Safe & Effective Sample GM Diet Plan For Weight Loss
Do Men And Women Burn Calories Differently?
If you also have a question that men and women burn different amounts of calories then the answer is yes. To calculate your individual metabolic rate you must take into consideration your age, gender, and weight or body composition. Males generally have lower body fat than females. This means that men often have more muscle than women. More muscle means burning more calories while resting. So men burn more calories than women overall.
Calorie Burn And Weight Loss:
Knowing the daily calorie requirement to maintain your weight can also help you lose weight. To lose 454 grams of weight, one has to burn 3,500 calories. A man needs an average of 2500 calories to stay healthy and he must consume 2000 calories to lose one pound of weight per week. A woman needs to eat about 2000 calories per day to stay healthy and to lose one pound of weight per week she must eat 1500 calories. Experts recommend aiming to lose only one half or one kilogram of weight per week for the most permanent weight loss. You can do all this through diet, exercise, or a combination of both.
Tips On Losing Weight:
It is not as easy to keep all the numbers completely in any weight loss calculator. To lose weight, you should eat well, exercise on most days of the week and maintain it for a long time. To lose weight you can adopt the following measures.
- Write in a diary to remember what and how much you eat in a day.
- Reduce the intake of high-calorie, low-nutritious foods, such as candy, cookies, chips, etc.
- Substitute low-calorie foods in place of your favorite high-calorie foods.
- Take just a portion of whatever you are eating on your plate.